This month is National Microchipping Month sponsored by Petlog.
New statistics were released at the end of May by The Kennel Club; the research, carried out by the UK’s largest lost and found database for microchipped pets: Petlog. Petlog state that 46% of dog owners are unaware that compulsory microchipping is to be made in England while, out of the other 54% only one in five knew it was compulsory in England by 2016. At the same time just less than 50% of pet owners do not know if their details are currently up to date.
Isn’t this slightly worrying? There is truly a lack of understanding with dog owners around the country, almost all major charities think that microchipping is beneficial and rightly so. Such a simple and cheap procedure can be a brilliant method to safeguard your pet in case they go missing.
However, microchipping your pet is only half the job, making sure they are updated is almost as important. In my experience people often assume that changing the details would somehow require a new microchip plant but fortunately that isn’t the case. Updating your details are very simple; simply access the database website you’ve originally registered with (Petlog, PETtrac, Anibase etc.) and amend the details, it can also be done with some vets too.
As it stands in the UK, the Control of Dogs Order 1992 states that any dog in a public place must wear a collar with the name and address (including postcode) details such as the owner and telephone number is recommended. So far it’s worked very well, there are very few dogs I’ve come across (if any) that haven’t got a tag which is great. Owners need to be reminded that the relevant and up to date details are engraved on. Microchipping will soon be an additional requirement by law and hopefully it will be hugely beneficial. However until then, it’s absolutely essential that people are aware how important microchipping is, considering that 53% of dogs that stay last year unfortunately were unable to reunite with their owners. I wonder how many dogs weren’t able to reunite their owners due to lack of tag or microchip on the dog, and if they do the information has to be up to date. Otherwise what’s the point in having a tag or microchip in the first place?
Another statistic from Petlog I found mildly amusing was that 12% of pet owners think that microchipping is some sort of GPS system. It’s important to understand exactly how microchipping works and more importantly, how beneficial it can be. Sadly people will only truly understand how important it is once their dog is missing. Thanks to microchipping, thousands of missing dogs have been reunited with their owners and lets hope these figures continue to grow.
More information by The Kennel Club Press Release here.